Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Mbayani - Part 2


February 20, 2008

After the children’s program concluded, our hosts took us down “Main Street Mbayani”. A filmy water flowed down the crevices of the dirt road. The air had an oder of sewer. I wished we had worn sneakers. We were all in sandals. We were accompanied by adult committee members, a small entourage of kids who were very interested in Terra and Jordan, and others who were just curious. We walked past lean-tos selling plastic knick-knacks, cell phone batteries; mostly stuff that we could not imagine anyone needing or buying. How do these people survive? One of the committee members said he was a carpenter. He made tables and chairs. “Like Jesus?” I asked. “Yes, like Jesus!” We both smiled and laughed.

We turned down a path that led to a tiny house. Sitting on the ground outside of the door was an old thin woman. Her eyes were red and puffy from infection. Her face was hollow. Dirty feet protruded from under her ragged skirt. Our hosts introduced her. She was the mother of five children. Her children were dead; all five dead. She was responsible for raising six grandchildren ranging from age 8 to 17. A couple of her grandsons were there. We were invited to ask her anything we wanted. Liz looked at me and I looked at Liz. It was extremely awkward. What do you say to someone who has experienced suffering beyond anything we could ever imagine? The silence hung in the air like pestilence. We asked her to tell us about herself, and she deferred to our hosts-she said she didn’t like to talk in front of others. We asked the grandsons what they did. “Piece-work.” (odd jobs.) “What did she need?” “Food.” More awkward silence. Our hosts encouraged us to go into her home. It was a two room mud brick hovel. No windows, no water, no electricity. It took a while for our eyes to adjust to the dark. The grandmother slept in the outer room which was a small space with a blanket on the floor and a small wood stove in the other corner. The back room was the bedroom for the grandchildren. It was about the size of a large closet with one bed. A few filthy clothes were strewn around. It was difficult to imagine anyone living there. We came back out and were asked to say something. Liz thanked her for sharing her story with us and I said a prayer. We looked once more into those empty red eyes, and left.

We walked up a steep bank where a filthy stream flowed down behind hut after hut. We stopped in a building where they grind up the maize (corn) to make flour for nsima, the national food that keeps the people of Malawi alive. Nsima is maize flour mixed with water into a white paste that people eat with their fingers. It has very little taste, and is usually mixed with whatever else is on your plate-if you have anything else. Then we came to our second stop.

A young emaciated woman sat outside of an even smaller hut. She had a baby in her lap-maybe 10 months old. The baby was her niece. She smiled when she saw us coming. Her face lit up. She was waiting for us.
She is “positive.” Her husband died from AIDS several years ago. She was being kept alive by ARV’s (anti retro viral drugs-the “cocktail” of AIDS medication, recently provided for free by the government.) She talked openly about her feelings. We asked her if she was afraid, and she said no, not since she was on the medication. We asked her how the coummunity responded after finding out she was positive. She said that people had been very caring. The people from the committee would come to her house and help her clean, and take care of things. She also allowed us to see her house-a place she rents for K700/month (about $5). It was tiny mud hut with two rooms, again no windows, pitch black inside. We lit a candle. The house was kept very neat.

Liz asked her if she was a Christian. Yes. Could Liz pray with her? Yes. Liz touched her arm and prayed. It was a beautiful moment. Two woman who could not be more different-one a mother-healthy, white, rich, married- reaching across the huge gulf to an impoverished, dark, dying widow and connecting in the name of Jesus who came to break down the walls and barriers that keep us from becoming one. We left with a feeling that we had spent a few minutes on holy ground.

Throughout this amazing afternoon, we wondered why were here, and why our presence meant so much to these people. We were told, “You bring them hope. You are showing them that someone on the outside cares.”

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you wonder why you are there? It does show that you are bringing hope to them. They only see what is around them, maybe as I read the earlier blog (part 1)of how close this village is to your home yet you are now seeing it with your own eyes. Some have never even left their village and some don't realize that only 5-10 minutes away is a better place within reach (yet a world away). What a snapshot of the world around us. Even in Allentown. How far is homeless and poor in Trenton (10 minutes)? I wonder since they feel "stuck" in their circumstance if they can even imagine living a better life (which is only minutes away from them) yet who cares? I know I forget often as I am wrapped up in my "own" world.

I will tell you why from my perspective why you are their. To be our eyes and ears. To inform us and share your experiences - to touch our lives in a real way that yes indeed suffering does exist. Yes, we have HEARD this, but now we SEE this through your eyes. This stays with me. Not just a "news article". Friends who I know and love are really there. I believe if you were not there now, even some of the big and small decisions of everyday life would be different - just because of the perspective that you bring to us. I believe if you were not there, Hal would not have the encouragement to go to Africa on his mission to Zambia and then onto see you. Why, because you have gone before him, and that my friends strengthens us back here. By your choice to be there, it affects many people here. Don't discount that, I am not talking about missing your presense here. I am talking about the conversations that take place about Africa now and the needs out there, and praying for your family and most importantly thinking outside of ourselves. It does put perspective of our "trials" they seem so small now.

I wish I could put my arms around each one of you and even more importantly put my arms around those who are the face of God. Jesus says "Whatever you do for the least of these - you do unto me..." Continue to do, I pray for your health, strength and endurance in this "race" set before you. We love you, The Boston's

Jem Nelson said...

God Bless you - the poor Malawians also. Do they wonder if God has forgotten them? Do they wonder where Christ meets them or are they too impoverished to understand the world in which they live and the hope which Christ offers them? Is there hope? You have our prayers and daily thoughts and you know how much we love each one of you.
Had a wonderful time with Jem and Clay and their friends and also with Daniel's family. Little Reiko appears to be very bright, loves to draw and scribble. It is interesting to hear her talk with Toshiko in Japanese. She goes to a Japanese school and they only converse in Japanese so she is fluent in that language.
We were very touched by this blog and all I can say, bless you all and hope you can find some means to help just a few of these millions of Africans caught in a similar situation. In the meantime a hand touch and smile helps them over the hurdles. At least you care. More later, Mother

Unknown said...

It is so hard to know what to say in response to your terribly heartbreaking, and yet so poignantly beautiful encounter with these villagers. I am sure you are learning anew what it means to offer Christ - He who is enough in all circumstances. How very rich you are to have that faith and love to share.

Anonymous said...

I don't cry easily (despite what the Ratcliffes may have told you!) but this most recent blog brought me to tears. Michele has said it more profoundly than I can. I believe that your presence in Malawi at this precise time is opening eyes, hearts and minds to the situations that exist in Africa and many other parts of the world. God bless you all and may He strengthen your resolve. Thank you for being a light in the darkness!

Kara said...

Thank you so much for sharing. I just caught up with the last four or so posts and it's striking to me how your life is becoming intermingled with the lives of these people. I pray that that would happen more and more.

I feel shame because it seems to me that these people are right to think that the outside world has forgotten them. Most of us spend our days ignorant of our sisters' and brothers' sufferings. So, I thank you for reminding us. And I pray that the Church will be the grand exception to the rest of the world's blindness toward their pain. I continue to struggle with how those of us HERE can do that, but I thank God that you can be our emissaries for this year.

Many blessings (and I hope school is still going alright--and hopefully better than ever--for the girls).

~ Kara LP

Lisienne said...

I just read your latest posts as I was finishing a letter to my Hope child in Mozambique. I found myself hoping that she doesn't live in such a place as this village but realizing she very well might. And it struck me of the sheer genious of God when he filled the world with two kinds of people: those who need hope, and those who can give it. You all are giving hope, and my prayers for you are for the strength to continue this journey. I believe that you are up for the task, and you are an inspiration to the rest of us back here at home. We love you and miss you, but are so glad you're there doing what you're doing.

Many blessings,
Lisa Neuman

Anonymous said...

This blog has hit me hard as well. I echo everyone's sentiments, especially Michele's. Your presence in that village helps me to understand, in a more personal way, the kinds of excruciating challenges that are being faced by our brothers and sisters across the world.
Kim