Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Widows of Chinuple




Chinupule is in one of the areas they call a “semi-urban village”. I call it a “slum”. The houses are concrete shacks. People live packed like sardines. There is no land for gardens. Unemployment is nearly 90%. There are no services, no sanitation, no sewer. You must watch where you step. Crime is high.

We sat as honored guests in stiff high-backed chairs, a sea of women and children on the dusty ground at our feet. We applauded acrobatic performances and politely laughed at dramas when we had no idea of what they were saying. Sewa, the project manager, leaned over to me and whispered, “Lizzie (they tend to add an “e” sound to the end of English words), look at how many widows. They care for the orphans.” The women were many. And they are old! They are missing teeth. Their clothes are torn and sag over their slender frames. Their faces are weathered and do not return my smile.

Monday morning I met with Sewa to ask her if she could help me implement an idea, to set up a bible study where I could meet with these widows and women once a week. I approached Joyce Makungunya, a woman from our church who speaks very good English, to ask her if she would translate for me and help me lead the time with the women. My intention is to share leadership with a Malawian in anything I start so that continuity will be ensured after I am gone. Every Monday now for the past 4 weeks we have met with the champions of Chinupule, the women and widows who care for the orphans.

Mai Gonthi is one of the widows with whom we meet. She had 10 children. 7 have died. From the 7 who died, there were 15 grandchildren who have come to live with her. There are many small ones, most are in primary school. She does “piece work” to earn a little money but it does not bring in enough to feed them all. “We adults can eat anything, but the children need more.” She is concerned about their nutrition. Now the nights are getting cold. The children share one blanket. Each week 4 different women share a glimpse of their story with the other leaders and myself.

Since we have started, 3 women from St. Columba join me now in the leadership. Lucy Mauluka brings her drum, Joyce Makungunya translates, and the executive leader of the Women’s Guild, Joyce Chatata, reads the scripture in Chichewa. We meet under a tree outside a dilapidated concrete building where volunteer village women work with preschool children. We include the children in the opening time of singing and dancing. They cannot keep away from the sounds of the beating drum. Once we settle into our bible study, the teachers take the little ones back into the building so we focus and share. Often it is still difficult to hear over the voices of the children but that is okay.

I have never read scripture like I do today. It has come alive for me. I understand what Jesus is talking about in new ways. I step back in time and see the world through different eyes. I know what he means when he speaks about widows. I understand the radical steps women took to be with Jesus amidst a circle of men who traditionally and culturally excluded women. I understand faith and prayer in new ways. I have been blessed!

Last week we read two related healing stories involving a woman and a beloved daughter from Mark 21. At the end of our time together, I was curious to hear how the women understand these stories of miraculous healing. “I know all of you have lost children, husbands and many loved ones. I know you have been on your knees, just as desperate and sincere as the father in today’s scripture whose daughter is dying. I know you have pleaded with God, cried out to God to spare and heal. How do you make sense of these miraculous healing stories?”
Heads slowly nodded as the question was translated. Silence. And then one by one, they responded. “I have loved, but I know Jesus loves them more.” “Life in heaven is so much better than this life.” “It is difficult, but just as the woman waited 12 years, so we will wait on Jesus.” I sat in silence, humbled and in awe.

The first week we started with 8 women and I thought, "Good, this will be intimate". The second week there were 20. The third week it rained. They were so happy when we arrived. They did not think we would come. 15 - 20 women walked through the cold rain to come to a study they were not sure would take place. This week we had 30. They have been asking for Bibles since we started. They love the stories. I love their faces. They laugh as I make a connection between their culture and the time of Jesus. When we read the story about Martha and Mary, I pointed out that Mary’s decision to sit at Jesus’ feet, while Martha was cooking, was as radical as one of them joining the men in the evening as they gather around the fire. They laughed and shook their heads, grasping the radical disobedience Mary demonstrated toward society, yet the total obedience given towards God. They light up when I suggest a new twist or insight into scripture. (Of course none of what I present is my own; I borrow left and right from commentaries.) I noticed some of them bring little pads where they jot notes and scripture references. So Terra made notebooks for all of them, folding and stapling printer paper and covering them with construction paper. We also bought each a pen. I don’t think all of them can read and write but the other leaders told me they will take care of each other. Sure enough, I saw one writing scripture references in four of the notebooks for the others. When they are at home, their children will read for them.

This week we read the parable Jesus tells in Luke 18 of the widow and the unjust judge. They loved that story. I suggested that Jesus shows us that widows during the time of Christ and in their culture may seem powerless/worthless to many in this world but that Jesus holds up the widow again and again throughout scripture as having a special relationship with God, a unique place in bringing the Kingdom of God here on Earth. They went wild.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Liz. My heart aches for you. I've already emailed my own Bible Study leaders so that they will be sure and read this particlar blog. We just finished the miraculous healings by Jesus and I dare say, the women of Chinuple found much different life lessons in the teachings than our comfortable suburban moms did.

I love hearing how the scriptures came alive for you - I, too, wish to experience that. I feel I can take your experience and learn from that and apply it here to my very 'luxurious' life. I long to spread your message to others and someday help as you are.

Thanks be to God for your work there!

Randa

Anonymous said...

Liz,
It is so good to read your entry - I feel that you are sitting here with us telling us about the women you have come to know. you seem to have found your mission.

Keep taking good care -
Eileen

Anonymous said...

That blog entry was one of the most powerful ones. I makes me feel silly when I think that I have some discouraging times in my life, because you must feel discouraged many times. Even though I miss you so much, I am glad that you are putting hope into so many people with so little hope. You write SO well, and I feel as if I am there. Love,
Tumbleweed
aka Julia

Anonymous said...

Dear Liz-eee,
For the first time in my life, I am without words to express myself. There are only tears, tears which cloud my vision.
May Christ truly bless you, the Holy Spirit comfort you and God protect you. With love and great admiration, Mother

Kara said...

I love that the eyes of a different culture find redemptive and empowering meaning in these old texts. These women live in a context that makes the words perhaps more vivid than when we read them in our American context, but the Spirit's work connects these stories to all of our lives, if we'll hear it.

You know I love scripture and hearing of its empowerment to oppressed women really tugs at my heart. I'll have to tell you about my dissertation topic and how it relates to your experience of the gospel's liberating power to women! For now, it deals with the astounding depiction of women and their receptivity at the crucifixion and resurrection (I'm focusing on Mark 16, including the longer ending, but it's in EVERY gospel!).

I am praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Liz,

I do believe with my whole heart that heaven IS the better place. The grasping of that in my daily life is another story.

How amazing that the widows can teach you and I that comfort in their loved ones dying is in the blessed assurance that they are in heaven (the better place). I am always in awe of stories of missionaries that go to share the gospel where no one has preached or even can read a word in the Bible - and yet they know, they really know there is a God and there is a better place and they put trust in God immediately when someone shares the gospel, the seeds were planted by the One who created the them. It teaches me that God is alive and preaching even in the silence, even in the cries and it might not even be the conventional way we might think. He has been preparing hearts long before you stepped off the plane in Malawi. Now He is using you to water their thirsty souls.

I am blessed by your words and will continue to pray for strength. How envious I am of you. My first "calling" for my life after the usual God, family, etc. is my passion for women's ministry. How I wish I could be next to you sharing the Word with these beautiful women.

A powerful verse for me this week is this (please pass along to the widows):

Philippians 1:21 "For to me, to live is Christ, to die is gain."

WOW! The whole book Paul wrote to the Philippians is amazing, yet this one verse sums it all up. To be alive and to live for Christ unashamed and if that means joy, great - if it means suffer, great (or okay) and if I die it is gain because I will live with the one who I lived for. So bottom line is : it is a Win-Win. Paul knew oh so well. How inspiring that you are seeing this first hand. And that the women who by all accounts of the "world" should curse the God who took their loved ones, is thanking the same God - knowing they are in a better place. What a gift from God to give to these women. That is a powerful testimony from them to me personally. What strength. And if they never laid eyes on this verse they certainly are living it out for the world to see as they care for countless children:
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

I am with you in Spirit sister.

Love, Michele

Anonymous said...

How beautiful is the light of Christ as it shines on the faces of the widows. How powerful are his words. How comforting is his heaven.

Ida

Anonymous said...

Liz, Stephen, Jordan, and Terra;
It sounds like you're all making quite a difference in the lives of those around you. Please know that you (and the people you write about) continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

Sue Bechamps

Anonymous said...

bdbnklf

Anonymous said...

I can so picture you sharing the Gospel with these women. I am in awe of their ability to recognize the goodness of God despite the wretched conditions they deal with on a daily basis. Makes me ashamed of my failure to appreciate the many blessing I take for granted.
It was great to spend a little time with Jem. Tell Terra and Jordan we miss them. Can't believe how quickly 5 months have gone by! In my thoughts and prayers daily.
PG

Anonymous said...

Dear Liz, Steven, Tera and Jordan,
You have all been on my mind so much these days. The currants are just about ripe in the garden and each time I check the plants I think of you all and say a prayer. Next years first harvest goes to you Jordan and Tera. Your words, ministry and love are an inspiration and blessing to us all. God keep you all!
With much Love
Doug