Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Road to Zomba


Three times a week I take my life in my hands--I drive the road to Zomba. The M3 is a harrowing and nerve-wracking, two-lane, poorly paved excuse for a major road. Road crews continually patch massive potholes-often patching places that have already been patched before. Vehicles break down regularly and since there is no shoulder you never know when you will have to stop and take a deep breath to go around an abandoned truck parked along a blind curve.

Danger lurks around every curve and death crouches behind each blind hill. Huge trucks, belching exhaust, prowl slowly along the pot hole pocked tarmac, daring me to pass. They are just waiting for me to pull up alongside so they can slowly squeeze me off into the bush. I’ve had my side view mirror taken off by one of these monsters loaded to the hilt with timber. The butt end of one of the poorly stacked trees sticking off the back smashed the mirror as I came up to pass-it was a miracle the tree didn’t come right through my windshield. It was either lose the mirror or go flying off the road as there is no shoulder-just a two foot drop-off where the dirt had washed away.

If truck passing wasn’t danger enough, I am constantly threatened by one of the infamous minibuses. These 15 passenger Toyota vans are the public transportation of Malawi. The drivers are paid a ridiculously low wage, so they supplement their income by picking up more passengers than expected. The way to accomplish this is by driving like bats out of hell. These maniacs come barreling along at dangerously high speeds with horns blaring and suddenly stop for either a pickup or drop off. They dart out into traffic with no hesitation or warning. If you beep in indignation they just glare at you and pull away.

While dodging trucks and minibuses is bad enough, the biggest hazards are often the bike riders. Very few Malawians can afford cars, so they have learned to carry a stunning array of objects on bikes: huge bags of charcoal, building materials, live chickens, and parcels of tobacco just to name a few. With these ungainly loads, they weave along the road like a drunk, waiting until the last possible second to get out of the way as my horn blares warning them that I have nowhere to go as a minibus is barreling down on me from the other direction.

Of course there are the hundreds of pedestrians who generally stay out of the way, but you have to be careful especially when passing through the villages that are built right along the road. The people are often mixed in with various less predictable animals-goats, cows, chickens and the like. Throw in the occasional monsoon-like downpour, blinding sun, or dense fog bank, and you have the recipe for disaster. Every year there are hundreds of accidents and dozens of deaths on the Zomba road. It is like a crazy video game as I weave and dart in and out of traffic, potholes and pedestrians. The only difference is if I make a mistake there is no reset button.

This road has become for me the metaphor for life in Malawi. Each person in this poverty ridden country lives a life that is tenuous and fraught with danger. Death lurks around each corner as disease and illness ravage children and adults. There are hundreds of potholes and problems waiting to sideline the people here. Poor schools, lack of jobs, no money, and dangerous neighborhoods are just a few of the potential accidents waiting to claim victims. It is amazing that anyone arrives at a destination other than the many coffin shops that line the M3. People are blindsided everyday by malaria, HIV/AIDS and countless other problems. Corruption and stupidity by officials, leaders and pastors just add to the problems headed their way.

In a few months I get to go home and drive safely down the well paved, tree-lined road of my neighborhood. For the people here, there is no other route and no reset button.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

We should all be thankful that the tasks such as shopping and driving are generally safe and relatively stress free. I pray for you all. I pray that God's work through you all is not diminished by the stress of the every day.
Keep that light shining bright Heinzel-Nelsons!

Anonymous said...

I loved your blog, Steve! Or is it Liz who must drive? I just assumed it was Steve. Well, written and I could just hear the careening trucks, chickens, and people. It gives a whole new meaning to "commute". By the way, what is the price of gas there?

You are right on about the metaphor for life there. I can't even imagine being blindsided by such things as you have listed there and I hope I never do.

I trust all are well in your family and that God's protective hand comforts you during these times. (especially on the road to Zomba) Great blog.

RBN

Anonymous said...

I don't know, it sounds like just another ride on the NJ Turnpike to me!! I'm just glad that you're apparently able to drive a car a lot straighter and safer than you can drive a golf ball!!

Just kidding, of course (about the NJ Turnpike comment at least). I'm sure it's impossible to list the number of things that we here take for granted. It reminds me of a prayer that Audrey recently found, which recited things like "thank you Lord for the dirty dishes I see in the sink, because it means that I have had food to put on the table; thank you Lord for the laundry in the washer, because it means that I have clothes to wear," etc.

I can't wait to be there with you to have my eyes opened in ways I can't even imagine as I sit here safe at home.

Sydney said...

Wow! And my dad complains that some roads here are bad!

Anonymous said...

Wow...I cannot imagine being on such roads. Lord knows I get scared being on the roads here with reckless teenage drivers and college students. Years of practice driving In New York City and The Turnpike must have been a blessing in diguise...preparing you for much more dangerous travel. You all be safe! Ms. liz--check your gmail account.

Cleveland

Anonymous said...

Very humbling. Yes we should all be thankful for the wonderful life the Lord has given us back in Allentown. How truly blessed we are!
I pray for your safety and health, always.

Anonymous said...

It sounds to me like you are putting your life in God's hands; i.e. that so far you have been safe enough to have a chance to write about it. A great blog, Steve. I was traveling right along with you. I hope you have a 3 months vacation this summer (winter for you?) to recover for the fall semester.

As always, we pray for you and the family's safety and health and eagerly await your return the end of ther year. Lots of love to all. Mother

Anonymous said...

Dear Steve and Liz,

I have thought of you often since hearing of your Malawai adventure. I am grateful for your faith and faithfulness.
If you ever have a minute to shoot me an email, I would love to catch up on news of you in addition to the Blog.
I am just back from five days in Haiti, went with a friend to visit an agricultural missionary our congreation helps support. Jan and I leave next week for Russia to visit a partner congregation in Smolensk.
Our shared time in Guatemala must have infected us for life!

Grace and peace,
Art Ross
aross@whitememorial.org

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,
This is Ethan Rhoad. My parents said I can go on the African Trip in August. I cant wait to see you guys! Im so excited!

See you in August,
Ethan

Malawi moto said...

Hey am a Malawian! Yes indeed driving through the Blantyre-Zomba road can be risky! The road is narrow and is has outlived its lifespan. But thanks to God, the government has already announced the reconstruction of this important road. And traffic police are also trying their best to bring sanity to the minibus drivers. Pliz keep on sharing your joys and disappointments in Malawi. Good day!

Daniel Forrest said...

I would love to hear more about your time at Zomba Theological College. My wife and I currently teach at African Bible College Christian Academy in Lilongwe. I am interested in theological education on a long term level in Africa, and have been investigating various options. I would love to hear about your time at ZTC. Please email me at dfrobbins@gmail.com . I am all ears for good and bad; I am just trying to figure out what options are out there for us in the long run.

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think your trip is so cool i wish I could be there with you

Unknown said...

I still find Zomba ,with Zomba Plateau in the background to be a really beautiful place. But do agree that the roads in Malawi are not always the best.