Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Zomba Theological College


January 30, 2008
Written by Stephen

Every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I travel to Zomba to teach New Testament at Zomba Theological College (ZTC). Zomba is a pretty, small town at the base of the Zomba Plateau, a mountain about one hour north of Blantyre. I travel there with others who live in Blantyre and work in Zomba. The road is poked with potholes and it is always nerve wracking dodging potholes, minibuses, pedestrians, bicycles, mudslides and other obstacles along the way. I leave at 6:30 and usually get home around 6, so it is a long day.
ZTC is the main theological school of the CCAP. It has a faculty of 10 and a student body of about 100 divided between 4 classes. The school year of three terms runs from January-October. I teach NT II (Paul’s letters and Hebrews) to the second year class of 18, and NT III (Johannine literature-the gospel of John, the letters of John and Revelation, and the letters of James, Peter and Jude) to the combined third and fourth year classes of about 60. I teach both classes each day making for a total of 6 one-hour classes each week. It is a huge amount of material to cover in depth in a year. It is very demanding and I am working extremely hard to prepare for the classes and stay ahead.
The classrooms of ZTC are simple concrete rooms with old fashioned desks like you would find in an elementary school-the top lifts up and students keep their Bibles, notebooks and pencils in the desks. Each student has an assigned desk at which they sit each class. In the front of the room is a table with a podium and a blackboard. That’s it. The students have no textbooks. There is a decent library and a computer room for their use.
I am just beginning to get a feel for teaching in this context and it is difficult to judge how effective I am. The students tend to be pretty quiet and I feel like I have to work hard to draw them into discussions. I often find it difficult to understand their questions and sometimes have to ask them to repeat a question several times. If I’m having a difficult time with their accents, I’m sure they are also struggling with mine. As time goes on they're beginning to warm up to me, and even laugh at some of my jokes and comments. Occasionally I even get an “Amen!”
I am beginning to make friends with some of the other faculty members, all of whom are African pastors. I have lunch on Mondays and Wednesdays with Silas Ncozana, a fascinating pastor who courageously played a huge role in helping to peacefully end the dictatorship of Malawi in 1994. He is a terrific person who graduated from Princeton Seminary in 1981-the year before I began. I like to joke around with the school secretary-Violet. She’s not as talented nor laughs as much as Joan (does anyone?), but she is funny. I sense this will be a rich part of my time here.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I NEVER KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO TEACH OVER THERE!

Jem Nelson said...

Steve,
Mother and I are pleased that you are able to have energy to teach after such a difficult commute. To be able to teach and befriend young pastors will give you and them many returns from your efforts. A great teacher is often remembered over the years with profound enthusiasm (as is Dr. George Kent). Mother and I are going to take him to lunch at the Nassau Inn 02/07 at 11:30.
We frequently think about, pray for and reminisce about how we love you.
I remain as always,
Your humble Dad,
And ever becoming more humble

Noel said...

We are interested in knowing more about the Malawian sense of humor. We know that your "jokes" here in the states do not make people laugh--what is it about the Malawian sensibility that provokes them to laughter at your japes?

Anonymous said...

I concur with Noel -- I mean, I was expecting you to find things to be different, but not that different. I suppose that next you're going to tell us that you've actually managed to find a birdie there in Malawi!

Joan said...

Never did I think you would find a secretary in Africa that would make you laugh! I'm sure she finds you very humorous!

Anonymous said...

Wow,

Noel and Bob harshing on big bro. Send them a box of those laundry bugs.

Onz

Anonymous said...

I hope everything is still going good in the school. i know from personal experience that its hard to take charge of people. Especially the headstrong ones. I hope everything is still going good at the school.

Anonymous said...

Good luck on getting through to your classes. On the other hand, I can't recall you really getting though to any of us here so........Seriously, best of luck in what appears to be a most difficult situation. Keep the faith and I'm sure all will work out.

Anonymous said...

Hey Onz,

I would have thought you'd join us in piling it on Stephen, rather than sticking up for him! I guess your big bro must have treated you better when you were a kid than my big bro treated me. Either that, or you've decided to take the Christian approach and have forgiven Stephen for those times he trespassed against you, and now turn your cheek rather than retaliate. I, however, oftentimes forget those particular teachings and tend instead to take shots where I can find them -- and Stephen's golf game is a particularly easy target.

Anonymous said...

SHN - A favorite author of mine wrote: "Bad teachers do not touch me; the great ones never leave me. They ride with me during all my days,and I pass onto others what they have imparted in me. I exchange their handy gifts with strangers on trains, and pretend the gifts are mine. I steal from the great teachers. And the truly wonderful thing about them is they would applaud my theft, laugh at the thought of it, realizing they had taught me their larcenous skill well."

I'm certain you'll be many times the future victim of theft of this ilk from your students there at Zomba Theological College. But since you, my friend, as those of us who know you even a little bit are aware, have "stolen" only from the greatest teacher of all, Jesus Christ, these are joyous crimes all.

Please keep us updated frequently. You have our prayers.

Judy Howle said...

Hi there! I'm a friend of John and Randa's from church and they shared your blog with our small group so we could see what you are doing there. In reading your messages I am awed at your willingness to go with the flow! It is a huge commitment for your family and a testimony to many that mission work is worthy of any "difficulties" set before you. I will be in prayer for your family as you continue this journey. Blessings, Judy

Anonymous said...

Dear Friends,

We at Cornerstone appreciate your stories. What a fascinating education you are giving us. For example, we never thought about what it means to machine wash and dry clothes. What a job. Please know of our support and prayers for you.
Stephen, the Clergy group got together at Princeton and although we had a good time, we sincerely missed you. We will share a portion of your report in church Palm Sunday and will encourage our people to read your blog. Thanks again for all you are doing. I will certainly cheer our Phillies on to beat Phil's Mets!

Your friends in Christ, Rob and Kathe Morrison, Cornerstone Presbyterian Church of Jackson.

Douglas Rennie said...

Really interested to read your piece about Zomba. My father, Alistair Rennie, (now 94) taught at a previous incarnation of the CCAP theological college at Nkhoma. I'm currently helping (with brothers & sister) edit his memoirs; and another connection is that I knew Silas Ncozana, both in Malawi and in Edinburgh. I would dearly like to see him again: do you think you could give me his contact details or pass mine on to him: Douglas Rennie: rennie47@phonecoop.coop and mail to 11 Northumberland Avenue, Forest Hall, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE12 9NR, England, UK. So whether you are still in Malawi or elsewhere, I'd be really grateful for any help.
Thanks, good wishes, and blessings.

Douglas Rennie